Every garden has a 'problem area' and ours is in the top left hand side of the kitchen garden. This area has awful soil quality, terrible drainage and has to accommodate the regular visits from tractors, lorries and vans coming to deliver manure, wood and other materials for the garden. It had also been turned into a bit of a 'dumping ground' for excess topsoil, rocks (and boy, do we have a lot of rocks and stones) and unused timber.
After trying to coax it along for the first year or two, incorporating it into our crop rotation beds with little success, we decided to bite the bullet and try to make a more structured area in this difficult patch by building a series of raised beds which will be easier to cultivate and a more efficient use of the area. It will also offer a much needed aesthetic point of difference in the top garden.
So in the middle of last year we started work on it. It's been a slow process and has involved a huge amount of hard labour but we got it ready in time for our Midsummer BBQ in June 2014. It's taken a lot of work from lots of different members but Brian really does deserve an extra pat on the back. He helped design it as well as putting in so much work helping to build it. Already kids love it and although it's still looking a little bare as the planting is in the early stages it's a fantastic feature and a real addition to our kitchen garden.